Thursday, January 7, 2010

Review: Doughboys



DOUGHBOYS IS BACK!

After nearly two years since both of their locations closed, Doughboys will be reopening it's doors on 3rd Street this Monday.  They have been having a soft opening, giving away free food since Wednesday, so I ventured the crowds to find out if it still holds up...

I arrived around 12:30 to find about 25 people waiting in front and immediately thought this was going to take a while.  I gave my name to the waiter out front and he said it should only be about a 20 minute wait.  The staff seemed to be turning the tables over rather quickly and everything looked like it was running smooth.




Shortly after the 20 minutes was up I was seated at a table for 4, which I thought was odd.  My waiter arrived immediately and I ordered my old favorite, the Breakfast Sandwich.  A generous portion of two sandwiches sliced diagonally consisting of fried eggs, bacon and tomato, covered with cheese and broiled for a few minutes.

I would say it took me less than 5 minutes to devour both sandwiches.

The sandwich was a good as I remembered except for one small difference, the cheese.  It used to be covered with GOOEY emmenthal cheese that nearly ran off the plate.  Now, it seems to be covered with a mix of Cheddar & Jack.  When I asked if they had changed the sandwich, the manager had to look in the menu to see what kind of cheese it should have...  I am guessing they are making new menus and were just using photocopies of the old ones for the time being.  The smaller amount of cheese almost seemed to make the sandwich easier to eat and allowed the flavors of the tomatoes and bacon to stand out.

The coffee was excellent and with my wait included I was out in less than 45 minutes, which isn't bad for a restaurant offering free food in a recession.   I will definitely be back when they open for The Monster and a Red Velvet Cupcake.

They are open tomorrow from 11am-2pm & 5pm-8pm, but I'm sure it will be packed with all the buzz that it is has been receiving.

Their website is not fully restored, but I'm sure it will be shortly:  Doughboys


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chef Brien is the King of Cuisine Expectations are relatively high for the Sacramento Kings’ 2022-23 season, which tips off Wednesday night....